Product of the System

Welcome to Britain in the 21st century....

Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Week of Delay

If the two and a bit years of commuting daily into and across this country's capital city has taught me anything, it's that not only do we have one of the most expensive public transport systems, the claims about it being one of the worst are, if anything, understated. Long ago I learned the valuable lesson never to rely on it any more than I have to, but I was always under the illusion that as bad as things were, they couldn't really get any worse. After all, a delay here and there, it's just a normal part of everyday life on this island isn't it? I mean travel disruption is almost as english as the sandwich.

But I have to say, in light of all of this, the joint efforts of Southern and LU this week truly have impressed me. Up until now I was under the impression that it would be more or less an impossibility for me to experience a whole week of non-stop delays, but lo and behold they have managed it. Yes, they should be proud. Since last Thursday I have experienced at least one big problem along my daily route that has in most instances doubled my travel time.

Therefore I would like to say that the -L-145 a month I spend on my travelcard is now in my opinion my number one biggest unavoidable waste of money, having easily overtaken both the Television Tax* and the Refuse Collection Tax**.


* Whilst not strictly a necessity, the BBC TV license is mandatory for anyone owning a television. This is of course regardless of the fact that there is nothing worth watching actually being broadcast, and the fact that a person might simply own one for the purpose of watching DVDs or hooking up a games console.

** Also known as the Council Tax. I have yet to find out exactly what this is for other than the binmen coming round twice a week and occasionally replacing the glass in the bus stop opposite every time a drunk chav becomes annoyed with his own reflection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home